Friday, March 24, 2006

Respect and Believe

I have been light on the post the past but I'm not going to apologies for it. The fact is that sometimes this will happen. In life we are ultimately responsible for our own happiness and learning and no on else’s. This week I needed to spend energies on me and my family, but this is not what I wanted to post about today.

In my previous post I got a reply where the person wished me to walk "with god's love". Now I do not think I stated it before, but I don't not believe in a god; at least not the biblical god. In spite of this I welcomed the wish with the intent that it was given. I respect the person's right to believe in god and to ask their god to watch over and help other. I make similar requests just not to "god".

This got me thinking about people’s tolerances towards others beliefs. I think that most people expect that based on you race that you will follow a certain set of beliefs. If you are white then you Christian or similar religion, if you’re from the Middle East then you are Muslim or the like. When you break this religious image people can have a hard time; you are breaking the image they have built of you. I do not judge people based on their beliefs, in fact I love meeting someone who is open about their beliefs and is willing to discuss beliefs with me. This does not mean that one tries to convert the other, but that you understand the other person’s belief. I find great value in understanding what others believe and why.

I think that if more people were accepting of other people’s right to believe differently we would be a lot better off. I look around the world I see so much fighting and killing going on because of differences in beliefs. There are few religions in the world today that don't teach peace and love. Let us lay down our arms, open our ears and our hearts. Then maybe we have a hope of peace.

No comments: