Tuesday, May 23, 2006

The Importance of The Da Vinci Code

Over the weekend I went to see The Da Vinci Code and I have been trying to get through the book. The movie was good, I have no complaints as far as movies go, but I've been fighting my way through the book. I know most people rave about the book but in reality the book is not well written, but this is not what I want to talk about.

There are a lot of people fighting over the book/movie. What each side views as truth and lies, but is this what is truly important about the book? For me no; I'm not a church going and I respect everyone’s right to believe what they want. What I think is most important are the questions that the book raises regarding the formation of the church.

In order to understand the validity of the bible and what it says you have to understand how it was created in the first place. I can't say if how the movie/book shows the bible was created it accurate or not, but I think it does ask question worth asking of any religious book. Who wrote or created the book? What did they choose exclude? What was the ultimate goal of the creators?

Any religious or spiritual book/writing are the portrayal of "facts" as the author hopes to convey. Did the author intend on helping others? Or, is there intent to fool the read? Or, is it simply a misinterpreted work of fiction?

For these reason I believe that the ultimate source for the truth is within. It is within that you will determine if the bible speaks to you or if the Da Vinvi Code makes you question the church. It is our own truth that matters more than anything else.

No comments: