Wednesday, August 09, 2006

What is Good?

In my last post I was questioning the balance of universe and I happy that I touched a cord in a couple of readers. To continue this I have the question what is Good and what is Evil. In may religions it is rather simple; there are rules written down that tell you what you are suppose to do and what you are not allowed to do.

I think however that reality does not match the simple black and white, words in print answer. So I ask you what do you think determine what is good and what is bad?

One could argue that killing is not bad. After all by killing someone are you not releasing their soul either to their god or to what ever other world you might believe in? Most people believe that we are better off in the after life than we are here so isn't killing someone just like buying them a nice vacation?

On the other side one could argue that killing is bad. That you are not only physically harming the person but also potential harming their soul and most would agree you are harming your own. You are robbing them of all the things they could have experienced had they lived.

Does the universe understand good and evil? Are we better off in the after life for having been "good". I do believe we are. I do believe that our actions impact us on a spiritual level, but if this is the case how is good and bad determined? There has to be more than what's written in a book. But, I guess in the end it come down to each persons beliefs and faith.

The universal truth is out there, but are we ready to see it?

No comments: