Thursday, August 24, 2006

My Childhood Monster

I have posted previously regarding monsters in my son's room. On the weekend (yes I have been intending on post this all week), I was putting my son to bed. He was laying on the floor looking under his dresser. He said two things as his looking under the dresser and pointed "monster" and "hand". Now this may not at first appear important but it had a big impact on me.

You see when I was young, like most kids, I had "monsters" in my room. My monsters took the form of hands that lived under my bed. The hands would try to grab me when if I ever got out of bed. Now her I was all these years later, laying on the the floor with my son, looking under his dresser and he was telling me he saw a hand.

This of course got me wondering. Was the monster he was seeing the same ones that tormented me as a child? Was this more proof to support my theory that the bogyman and other childhood monsters have a basis in fact?

We should be listening closer to what our children say to us when they are scared. Have an open mind and believe when they tell you about that monster in the corner. We have and we have armed my son with the weapons he need to send the monsters away.

No comments: